This is a nice simple recipe and totally delicious, suitable for vegetarians and adaptable if you are counting calories – what more can you want?
100g of your favourite pasta per person
1 large head of broccoli (trimmed and broken into florets) for 2-4 people (see below)
2 oz Dolcelatte or Gorgonzola per person
1 onion, finely chopped
- Sweat your finely chopped onion in a pan with a glug of olive oil.
- When the onion is cooked, boil a large pan of water for your pasta and briefly cook the broccoli heads in it.
- Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and add them to the pan with the onion.
- Cook your pasta in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet – usually 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- During the last few minutes of the pasta cooking time add the cheese cut into large cubes to the broccoli and the onion and put a very low heat under it. Be warned, you just want to melt the cheese very gently. If you give it too much heat the cheese will completely disappear.
- Add the broccoli etc to the pasta and spoon into dishes.
- Add a handful of toasted pine nuts or hazelnuts or walnuts to each dish.
Ordinarily, pasta is heavy on the calories but you can easily reduce the carbs in this dish by increasing the broccoli and reducing the pasta for those who are watching their weight.